IanH - 75g Build Thread

I’ve never used glue or epoxy to hold rock work together. Just spend enough time seeing how everything fits together. My rock work is never more then a giant puzzle. I would think epoxying them together would prevent ever being able to take a single rock out of the tank as you would have 1 giant 150lb rock when the epoxy cures.

Another option is drilling the rock and using acrylic rods to hold everything in place.

That is one of my worries. I like to rearrange every now and then and add/remove a few choice pieces.

The flip side is I’ve seen some neat structures built by epoxying them together and the stack/puzzle piece gets a little bit more difficult trying to make elaborate cave/tunnel type systems.

Drilling sounds like too much work, heh.

Epoxying them is not a bad idea. I just kind of stack them, and have had 2 rockslides in a year from moving a coral. Epoxy is nice because it isnt totally permanate… with a little elbow grease you can pull it off or break it, however it should keep the rocks from tumbling around.

Whats the epoxy you guys were talking about using when we were down your place Icy?

The epoxy that I use to secure frags to rocks is called Two Little Fishes epoxy. I get the gray stuff because it looks just like rock, and it will cover in coralline in a month or so and I dont see the point of getting pink epoxy for 2x the price for 1/2 the amount.

Just as a heads up. No one was willing to pay 2X the price for the pink stuff, so they dropped the price significantly… well at least the company and the wholesalers lowered it.

Or perhaps they just came out with a third product that isn’t “pink”, it’s “red”? I dunno. Some websites still sell the pink at a lot higher price and some have the red at less then a dollar more. I’ve seen the red at some LFS around here as well.

Any new pics?

A few, I’ve been busy at work lately so I haven’t gotten far, but I have some pics of the hood. Very nice, I can’t take the credit though. I’ll post pics tonight.

My father built the hood I have on my 75. I have just about 0 wood working skills.

Look forward to seeing pics. I need to get pics of my tank up soon, but it only has rock, cuc, sand, and fish in it at the moment. May be a year before I can afford to put some decent lights on top of it. :frowning:

[quote=“Gordonious, post:29, topic:860”]
My father built the hood I have on my 75. I have just about 0 wood working skills.[/quote]

Me too! (as if you guys couldn’t tell). It was actually a father/son type thing. He did all the work and I picked out the wood and stain. lol

Pictures of the hood. My father is obviously a better woodworker than myself.

Only 1 fan, we’ll see how it does.

Looks really good!

Looks good man!!

Thanks guys, like I said I can take 0 credit for it. All my father’s good handy work. The stand still needs to be skinned, but function before form.

Just need another set of end caps and reflectors for the hood to make it a 6 bulb T-5 for the 75.

We’re moving around the other tanks to start getting the 75 setup and plumbed today. I’m shooting for the end of the month to have everything over to the 75 with the 55 plumbed as sump/fuge.

The fish room and the 75g stand

oh yes, nice hood carpentry. But the design could be a little better. I like to make mine with an open back, and a 1/2 inch air gap between the front, and sides of the hood with the tank. it allows for the heat to CHIMNEY by natural convection up and out the back. no fans needed. when you make a tight, four sided fitted hood you have a toaster oven. the fan may be enough, but it will fail in time from the salt.

drop by some day and see my design. its pretty simple to make. I paint them canvas white on the outside, and pure white on the inside with glossy RUSTOLEUM paint, after priming. better light reflection inside for the VHOs. I havent had over heating problems since i built this one. no more fans.

Sweet. Love fish rooms. Looks like you are catching up to me as far as number of tanks, but still have a ways to go, lol. One of these days I’ll post pics of my fish room or have a tour here.

You know that reminds me ken, I meant to paint it white on the inside! I’m wondering how much heat will be an issue, I guess I’ll just have to see in the summer. I can always mod this for heat removal.

Jon, I think you need to have a tour or a meeting at your place! More tanks the merrier I say!

Looks good! That is my next add-on to my stand but i’m trying to go a little more light weight considering I want to incorporate my Halides.