IanH - 75g Build Thread

Planning on using the two holes in the back as drain out and the side hole as return in. The whole back of the tank will be a shallow skimmer which will fall into the two holes into the back

how many pounds of sand do you think that is?

Eh? Come again lol not following.

Lost me also… But anyhow what type of wood did you use? Pre-treated Pine? just curious about warp issues and such.

Lol tryin to get ideas and a design together for my tank!

-Glass or Acrylic
-Sits on stand frame or fits around?

That’s untreated pine, then stained and poly’d. Will sit on stand. Still haven’t run lights in it yet (slacker)

i saw your sand beds depth, and like the look, and was wondering approx. how many pounds that is???

was that confusing?

Yes it was, lol.

Umm good question. I’m thinking it is around 100 lbs. I’ll see if I can figure it out.

im rebuilding my 55 up now…and previously i didnt have enough sand in there, and i think thats why i still battle nitrates…well see this time around…Im also hesistant towards making it too deep because of what could potentially build and and eventually be released in the tank…

Idk it’s weird when i stirred my 4" sand bed in my tank with no livestock in it; I had a very small spike? The tank is only 10months old or maybe i don’t have the tester for what was released… Yea I know its a HJack but just wondering what the gases trapped down there contain.

Most of the time what is released is Hydrogen Sulfide… think low tide smell or rotten eggs. I don’t know of any test kits that will test for it, but it can actually be deadly in surprisingly small amounts.

My take on sand beds is I use a shallow sand bed for ascetics… if I wanted to use one for denitrification it would be a remote DSB bucket or a fluidized sand bed filter. I just wouldn’t want to have the potential to release toxic chemicals into the tank. When we set up a big tank (with a fish room) we will be using a DSB bucket, along with a few fluidized sand bed filters just because they are so efficient, but the main tank will have very little sand, and the sand will be fairly heavy so that we can have good flow through the tank.

Then again, remember this is my opinion. And you know what they say about opinions…

[quote=“icy1155, post:50, topic:860”]
…it would be a remote DSB bucket…[/quote]

That is what I would rather do (really DSB), but didn’t know about it until after I setup my 55. I’m leaving the DSB in the 55 as it will be in the refugium and will hopefully be less likely to be disturbed, except by the nass snails and other creatures.

Man I’m slow on this project…

Got some lights on it, this is before we modified the over flow a little. Snails are slacking…

Eww…

Just added 5 more astera (spelling is wrong) snails and 5 cerith. So up to 12 snails now. Also added a fighting conch to get going on the sand. TONS of pods in there, some HUGE ones too. A few sponges.

Some new picatures! Finally Dory is so happy to be out of her little 10g tank and into a nice new big home!

Sorry some of the pics are bad, I was trying to catch Dory, but shes too quick!

The brain looking nice and hungry.

Looks pretty good ;D