John's little tank

I never had an anemone since my tank was small. They never hosted any of the hammer or frogspawn but they wouldn’t leave this one part of the rock so maybe they thought they should host that instead? Lol

So far their sleeping next to a powerhead, and if they get startled when i reach in they dart for under the overflow box…
their parents didn’t host w/ anything in barbs tank either… i think ::thinking::

maybe their dna is just too far separated from nems at this point… maybe i’ll start decorating a flower pot?

[quote=“saltcreep, post:22, topic:5824”]
… maybe i’ll start decorating a flower pot?[/quote]

Well I guess you just found another use for your beadazzler!!!

[quote=“Cdangel0, post:23, topic:5824”]

[quote=“saltcreep, post:22, topic:5824”]
… maybe i’ll start decorating a flower pot?[/quote]

Well I guess you just found another use for your beadazzler!!![/quote]

my thongs, purses, aqua-scaping etc… you can laugh it up all u want, but that was money well spent! LOLLOL

Well i was in DPA yesterday with a gift certificate :-)### in my pocket ::rofl::
I grabbed a peppermint shrimp, some snails and an emerald crab (cool little crabs with attitude, i want more)
They had a nice looking anenome, which i thought was a white long tentacle… but it was listed as a purple tip sebae. I know they’re a possible host, and it is a “clown tank” so i had to give it a try. In the store it was about 4 - 5’’ , but today in my tank it was more like 7 - 8’’, and is halfway nestled in the rock work, and the sand… it looks amazing, i don’t care if the clowns like it or not…
It seems to spread out more when the lights go off ::thinking:: looking for food?
i thought they kinda shrunk up with the lights out?
this is my first anenome in twenty years, the last one didn’t do too good, i was a 20yr old that threw anything in the tank to give it the old college try… guess my two white T8 bulbs just werent cutting it back then #@$^

anyone have a sebae nem? what should it be fed? how often?
i was gonna pic up some silversides tmmrw, start with that…

i’ll take some pics soon, i was too busy playing with the tank…

i took apart two 2 buld 39w t8 fixtures and made my own retro fit kinda canopy… i wanted to get it lower to the tank, but still be able to move it easy to reach in the tank… I made it so it kinda slides like a drawer, i can slide it out, or more importantly back about 6’’ to have plenty of arm clearance. Its nice and bright now, (2 aquablue specials and 2 actinics) nice bright white with just a hint of blue…

I even added two led moonlight module things, 2 small blue leds on each… they were given to me years ago and i found them in a box of electrical junk while making this light… I already had all the reflectors mounted, and tight as possible for this narrow tank, so i just nibbled a half inch section out of where the two reflectors met in the middle, mounted the lights above the reflectors and they shine through perfectly…

so now i have moonlights in a bedroom tank… yeah its 1:40 in the am, but i keep staring at the clowns trying to jedi mind trick them into the anenome >LOCO<

use Mr T. voice here… “I pity da fool that wants a flower pot instead of an anenome”

I have a sebae nem, been in my tanks for over 2 years now. It is a nice dark tan color with purple tips.

When the lights go out it will stretch out for a few hours, then shrinks under the rock work till about an hour before lights on when it comes back out. It’s cool to watch, and it seems happy.

I feed mine sally’s frozen krill 3 times a week a few shrimp with feeding tongs.

It’s about 14 or 15 inches across now, when i got it it was only about 3 inches.

Thanks Pat… i was actually thinking of you cause i thought you had one…
glad its still good, and growing !
did yours start out white, and then darken to the tan? thats what i’ve been reading happens…

thanks for the feeding info Pat…

Some pics… the anenome gets itself about 1/3 shaded under the rocks when the light comes on…good sign there’s enough light i’d think ::thinking::

snails are cleaning the clam, bubble coral is opened to its full glory… its going well, so far so gooood!

[quote=“saltcreep, post:27, topic:5824”]
Thanks Pat… i was actually thinking of you cause i thought you had one…
glad its still good, and growing !
did yours start out white, and then darken to the tan? thats what i’ve been reading happens…

thanks for the feeding info Pat…[/quote]

Yea, it started out white as a ghost, darkened over about the next month. I had a mini crash after about a year when I lost my 2 clams,I did a bunch of water changes for about 3 weeks. It bleached to the super white, but it recovered during that time.

Mine also likes frozen squid, but that is more of a pain in the butt to feed, so I don’t do that often.

Looking good John - good luck with the anemone. Looks like you have a nice speciment there. It seems the “lighter” anemones seabeas and condis all bleach out pretty thoroughly before theyget to the stores. Some think it’s the stress of shipping - I personally believe the wholesalers stress them intentionally to get them to bleach out as the 'newbies" like the bright white look of the anemones.

It will color up over the next couple of months with good lighting as the xenophylia (or whatever the heck they’re called) start to repopulate the anemone.

Nice John. Looks like a lagoon area biotope. Love it!

Thanks Craig, and A :GEEK:

I’m working on it now… I’m adding a terra-cotta flower pot… close to the anenome, and if they fall in love with the pot, i’ll just keep moving it closer and closer to the nem… i’ll give it a shot, won’t hurt anything to try, well maybe my hand… the female is hostile… like a great white shark attacking, a couple swim by’s, then BAM running start from across the tank, hits hard, and lil needle bite at the same time #@$^ scares my arm right into the light… i gotta get used to it i guess, or keep my hands out ::rofl::

my nemos in the 125 never attacked at all, now i know what u guys are talking about with the blood drawing clowns now… Ball-zee little fish

She hasn’t been like that in awhile lol. She was pretty bad there for awhile but that was about a year ago. It was a battle everytime I wanted to do anything with the tank, she knows to stay away from the tongs :-)###

Full tank shot

i disguised the pot with some superglue, and old rubble… i even gave the rim a margarita treatment with glue and crushed coral…

found out which snails attack the algae from my 125

a blue linckia, pretty sure its eating asterina stars, and small brittle stars. I saw the pieces of a brittle hanging out, and the asterinas, that i had at least 30 of 5 days ago, are now just 3 or 4 in sight

if it starts eating this one on the glass i’ll get pics if i can

[quote=“saltcreep, post:32, topic:5824”]
Thanks Craig, and A :GEEK:

I’m working on it now… I’m adding a terra-cotta flower pot… close to the anenome, and if they fall in love with the pot, i’ll just keep moving it closer and closer to the nem… i’ll give it a shot, won’t hurt anything to try, well maybe my hand… the female is hostile… like a great white shark attacking, a couple swim by’s, then BAM running start from across the tank, hits hard, and lil needle bite at the same time #@$^ scares my arm right into the light… i gotta get used to it i guess, or keep my hands out ::rofl::

my nemos in the 125 never attacked at all, now i know what u guys are talking about with the blood drawing clowns now… Ball-zee little fish [/quote]

My breeding female was the same way. Every time I had to work remotely close to her she would attack me. It go to the point I would just net her when I had to work in the tank.
Can’t wait til my snowflakes start breeding. Sometime this year I am going to start a breeding setup for them.

The tank is looking great. I love the simplicity of it.

[quote=“JustSumGuy, post:35, topic:5824”]
The tank is looking great. I love the simplicity of it.[/quote]

Thanks jeff, thats what i’m shooting for…

now, if i could only fill a test tube for a water test without getting attacked… I’m worried she’s gonna knock herself unconscious hitting me so hard :BB)

Beautiful nem! I really hope it ends up hosting the clowns!

[quote=“ClownfishSushi, post:37, topic:5824”]
Beautiful nem! I really hope it ends up hosting the clowns![/quote]
abcd Jason

So the clowns started showing interest in the pot last night for an hour before the lights went out. they were taking turns cleaning the sand out of it, but they didn’t sleep in it… today they’ve been going in/out all day, i grabbed the camera to catch the emerald crab eating, and got a few seconds of the pair in the pot… so far the male spends most of the time cleaning, and the female only pops in hourly for just a minute to check on his progress… typical behavior of the female species #@$^

here’s about a minutes worth of video…

Everything looks great John.

AWWWWE! They are playing house in the flower pot! No peeking after lights out!