John's little tank

I wish Sebae’s stayed white with the purple tips :frowning: I bought mine because I knew clowns hosted it and it looked sooooo good.

I bought a scallop at the market today to cut up and feed the nem ( i didnt think i’d use a whole block of krill before it freezer burns) but the nem wouldnt hold onto it… just grabbed it for a few secs then let it go… maybe it wasnt hungry (i fed it mysis 3-4 days ago) or it doesnt like scallops? The bubble coral ended up inhaling the chunk ::thumbsup:: maybe i’ll try a raw shrimp, squid only comes in a huge block… any other suggestions from the seafood dept?
Also the clowns slept in the flowerpot all night, and it seems to be their spot now. I’m not going to attempt and move it closer to the nem yet… i may try to add a gbta,( i know a guy with more then he can handle) and place it close to the opening of the pot, we’ll see how long the gbta will stay put, and if they’ll take a liking to it…

My Sebae will eat krill, raw shrimp, mysis, brine, pellets. I don’t think I have tried anything else.
Sometimes when they are stressed they wont eat. Your sebae is still white which means the zooanthle algae has expelled from it which is normal when buying them from the fish store it should turn to a purplish color and the tips will some days be faint purple and some they will still have that nice purple spot you can see. At least that is what I found out after I researched them when mine changed colors.

I was just doing some more reading myself Jeff. Mines snuggled in the rocks, and not stretching for the light, and hasn’t moved in about the ten days i’ve had it… that all sounds good according to what i’ve read… The bleaching sounds baaaad, but typical of 99% purchased in the hobby…

Pat said it took a couple months for his to color up, how bout yours Jeff?
and guys…did they eat much while still “white” if you remember?
aside from parameters, it sounds like the two main issues that contribute to their demise are lack of light, and lack of food… from what i’ve read anyway ::thinking::

When I got mine I think it did stay white for a month or more. It has been awhile I have had mine I think for 2 or so years. I started it off in my 20g long and it used to hide itself in the back of the tank where it barely got any light. At that time I think I was only using a 2 bulb t5 before I got the 4bulb t5 made for a 36" tank. I am pretty sure I fed it then cause I was still pretty new to the hobby and loved to feed my corals. Mine does not like to much flow and when I changed lights it would move a little. But since it went into the 75 gallon tank it has pretty much stayed in the same corner maybe only moving a couple inches and always going back to its original spot.

I started out feeding mine cube packed squid. Now it gets a couple of krill a few times a week. If it doesn’t want the krill it will let it float away and the fish tear it up, I never had that problem with the squid.

http://www.sfbb.com/Squid_26.php

[quote=“Pat B, post:46, topic:5824”]
I started out feeding mine cube packed squid. Now it gets a couple of krill a few times a week. If it doesn’t want the krill it will let it float away and the fish tear it up, I never had that problem with the squid.

http://www.sfbb.com/Squid_26.php[/quote]

[quote=“JustSumGuy, post:45, topic:5824”]
When I got mine I think it did stay white for a month or more. It has been awhile I have had mine I think for 2 or so years. I started it off in my 20g long and it used to hide itself in the back of the tank where it barely got any light. At that time I think I was only using a 2 bulb t5 before I got the 4bulb t5 made for a 36" tank. I am pretty sure I fed it then cause I was still pretty new to the hobby and loved to feed my corals. Mine does not like to much flow and when I changed lights it would move a little. But since it went into the 75 gallon tank it has pretty much stayed in the same corner maybe only moving a couple inches and always going back to its original spot.[/quote]

Thanks guys!

I moved the flowerpot last night, closer to the anenome and i actually added some more rock and just incorporated the pot into the structure. They really like it, it will most likely be the place they lay their eggs… so i’ll get front row seating to the “egg show” eventually. Its still out of place in a reef imo, but its growing on me, and i think it’ll look mucho better when it colors in with coraline and such…

I’m getting ready to do a w/c , and i’m cleaning out the sump… its been awhile …
I’ll update some pics when finished, and i’ll take some par measurements also.

The anenome is still white… but not “brand new undies” white anymore… it has a slight green/brown hue to it now… and I’ve read that clowns are more likely to be hosted by a sabae nem after its tank acclimated and colored up… i dunno how true that is… kinda makes sense… we’ll see though, the edges of the nem and pot are only about 2 inches apart… I won’t be too disappointed if it never happens, its just that bond they get is one of the coolest things to watch :TWOCENTS

the coloring sounds normal so far that is how mine slowly changed to brownish purple then more purple then anything.

That is a cool thing to watch when the clowns host the anemone. I love just sitting here watching them swim about in it.

just a few quick pics…

i picked up a gbta from tim… its not real green, or bubbly yet…
and the flower pot is camo’d into the rocks, and the sabae anenome is attached to the side, wrapping around a bit into the pot at times…

ignore the hair algae, i had a little nitrate spike when i cleaned the fuge ( and the inch of crud that was in it)

It is looking real good so far John.

[quote=“JustSumGuy, post:51, topic:5824”]
It is looking real good so far John.[/quote]

thanks, i’m really enjoying this little tank… theres not much growing in it yet, but i like my rock piles. ( after messing it 5 x day for the past week ::rofl:: )

I’ll get a full tank shot up, i just didn’t feel like switching lenses… i can’t get far enough away with the macro on.

I have a couple green palys, and a cool frilly mushroom popping up off some rock that i thought died long ago… not to mention the light was off in this tank for nearly a month straight before the re-do…

Nice John. The 2 looks like they’re happy in that pot. Wish I have a nice camera to play/take nice pics with. I guess no intrest in the nem at all huh?

abcd A

The pair does seem a lil’ curious about the nem. They both “swat” it with their tails occassionaly, and also give it a nibble here and there…
A half dozen or so tentacles are hanging into the pot most of the time, and they swim right over it, back and forth from the front to the back of the pot. The anenome sits right under their little “pathway” through the rock structure and under the overflow box…
I tried to plan out all of this. I kept watching their swimming patterns, and slowly moved the rocks accordingly, and the flower pot moving closer to the nem went smoothly, i moved it an inch closer every night for 4-5 days until it was right up against it…
i can’t do anything else cept put the anenome right in the pot ::rofl::
I know nature will happen with/without me, but i’m just trying to give it the best chance. I’m hopeful, i think these are good signs… and the nem still needs to color/ health-en up also… I’m being very patient, and i’m finally done messing with the aquascaping as of yesterday, so that will also help them, and the whole tank in general

FTS…

Again, looks awesome. I hope the clowns get the hint.

Tank is looking pretty nice John  ::thumbsup::

They’ll just go right to the GBTA lol

Thanks Matt & Bill… and Tim i tried…
i let the gbta attach to a chunk of rock, and then i put the rock near the flowerpot. Both clowns were pretty ticked off…
They “impressively” assaulted it with shock wave blasts from swipes of their tail, and worked together and shoved this nearly baseball size dense chunk of rock 3 - 4’’ in 10 mins time…
It didn’t look anything close to hosting… I don’t think they would’ve stopped until they got it as far away as possible, or made it detach from tail “blast waves”… I finally just moved it for them to the other side of the tank where it seems happy.
… and they went peacefully back to their nem encrusted flowerpot… they huffed and puffed for 20mins after the episode

You need more patience my friend, my orange percula took almost a year to host the anemone and then the black one took about 1.5 years to host and kicked the orange one out and kept him out until I had enough clones that the black one couldn’t defend them all.