Kyle's 75G Build

Hi everyone,

I’ve been working on a 75 gal standard tank build since around April now and figured I would upload my tank, it’s progress, and it’s pitfalls. I don’t have pictures of the initial rock design or tank filling, or the building of the stand. Currently we have a 75G DT with a 30G sump underneath. I believe I filled the tank and added live rock/ live sand around mid-April. Initially I didn’t have a sump and had a HOB skimmer, so I’ve come a long way in the last three months changing my mind on everything a million times from trying to use a direct siphon for the sump, to skimmer brands, powerhead brands, and everything in between. The internet has been a saving grace for research and meeting people who are willing to help. I’ll upload pictures later tonight. Unfortunately I don’t have very many from the very beginning of the tank or the stand build, but I’ll upload what I do have. As always, if anyone has any suggestions or advice for anything at all I’m all too happy to learn!

I guess I can also share my current equipment list. It’s changed tons over the last three months, but here is what is currently in place.

75 G Tank (duh)
30G Sump with only about 15 gal of water in case of a siphon problem, theres plenty of extra space for water
80 LB live sand
~40 LB live rock, ~60LB dry rock
Jebao PP4 powerhead
Jebao PP8 powerhead
Sicce Syncra Silent 1.5 sump return pump
EShopps PF800 Overflow box (Wish I bought a reef ready tank)
Aquatic Life Reef Edge LED 48" (71W 120degree lens) Total PAR should be ~175 at 12" and ~130 at 18"
Current Orbit IC LED (46W 90degree lens)
1" Plumbing from overflow box to sump with a gate valve to make it super quiet ::bs::
Fluval 300W Heater
Thermometer that sticks to the glass (idr the brand or anything)
Aquatic Life RO Buddie RODI system
Reef Crystals by IO

I think this pretty much sums up the current equipment list.
Temp is 79F, Salinity 1.025, Nitrates ~10, Nitrites 0, Ammonia 0

Can’t post pics yet :BB) looks like I’m having the same problem bgriff44 described in the Griffin/Graff tank build thread.

Sounds like your tank is coming along well Kyle!

Taking it slow was a good choice, I can’t wait to see how it will look when the frags start to grow out

I just fixed your account, you should be able to post pics now. :slight_smile:

Thanks! I’ll post some pictures in the morning when I get to work. All corals I have are courtesy of Lee and Donavon ::thumbsup::

Here’s a picture of the tank as of a few days ago. I made a little hood to hide the lights, but it’s normally not on unless company is coming so it’s easier to feed and fiddle with the tank.

IMG_8335.JPG

One more for tonight. Here’s Donavons awesome trumpet coral. Looking super happy in the evening actinic lighting PBJ! lol

IMG_8015.JPG

very nice!!!

Here’s my sump setup and the stand I built (not a carpenter) - I need to find a way to hide the light from shining through the crack between the doors

IMG_8341.JPG

IMG_8339.JPG

IMG_8340.JPG

Great start! I like the look of your stand. You just just run a strip of wood behind one door and you’d block the light.

That’s what I was thinking too, I just haven’t gotten around to it. I like how easy it is to access everything in the cabinet without a strip in the middle of the cabinet doors though. I fiddle around with everything a lot

[quote=“Kyle Mench, post:13, topic:9128”]
That’s what I was thinking too, I just haven’t gotten around to it. I like how easy it is to access everything in the cabinet without a strip in the middle of the cabinet doors though. I fiddle around with everything a lot[/quote]
I meant attached to one door. It will swing out with it.

Ahhhh! Makes so much sense. Great idea!

I also don’t understand why all my pictures are turning 90 degrees when I post them?

are you posting from your phone? they tend to show up wrong.