Lee & Karens 180 build

coming soon to screens near you

figured better put a link to our old 90 gallon build on here

http://delreefclub.org/smf/index.php?topic=8839.0#top

Awesome guys, can’t wait to follow this build.

What? No trailer teaser?

Upgrading?

[quote=“kcbigdogg3, post:4, topic:8008”]
Upgrading?[/quote]yes we currently have a 90 with 20 gallon sump. Picking up the 180 this weekend. And planning on using a 40b for a sump and the 20 we currently have. Gonna try and do this one the correct way to start. Still gotta reinforce the floor and all that good stuff. Gonna be slow and take plenty of pics

And in the meantime gonna do some research on what kind of return pump I’m gonna need, for flow any suggestions? What are you guys running

My 180 came with a mag12. If your not putting the sump in the basement that size/gph would be pleanty.

You don’t want the water to go through the sump too fast or it won’t be in the sump long enough to do any filtering

My sump was right under my DT, and I liked the redundancy of running two return pumps on a 180, and used two Mag 9.5’s without problems for many years. In an effort to reduce the overall power needed for my system, I bought a RO DC 10500, and reduced the power need by 50%(186W for the Mag’s, vs 85W for the RO 10500), although I lost the redundancy of two pumps. For flow within the DT I would rely more on PH’s, depending on what you intend to keep, i.e. SPS, LPS, etc.

Yes I remember. That’s quite the upgrade. Get the jebao wave makers will be very nice in that tank

Well its been a couple months but finally getting around to getting it in its final resting place

New outlets installed god knos we need alot of those

and supports added in the crawl space dont tell me i need more support please im not going down there again

[quote=“kcbigdogg3, post:10, topic:8008”]
Yes I remember. That’s quite the upgrade. Get the jebao wave makers will be very nice in that tank[/quote]

got a rw-15 for the 90 and its tuned all the way down but love it will get swapped over to the new tank

[quote=“beadlocked450r, post:7, topic:8008”]
My 180 came with a mag12. If your not putting the sump in the basement that size/gph would be pleanty.[/quote] running just one with a Tee somewhere in the line?

I kno some of you are running pretty silent tanks whats the secret? hope Casey chimes in on this have currently 2 overflowes one in each corner

[quote=“Gotasplinter, post:13, topic:8008”]

My 180 came with a mag12. If your not putting the sump in the basement that size/gph would be pleanty.[/quote] running just one with a Tee somewhere in the line?[/quote]
Yes just try to give it equal length so it has even flow out both sides, you have a couple choices with the drain and returns.

[quote=“beadlocked450r, post:15, topic:8008”]

My 180 came with a mag12. If your not putting the sump in the basement that size/gph would be pleanty.[/quote] running just one with a Tee somewhere in the line?[/quote]
Yes just try to give it equal length so it has even flow out both sides, you have a couple choices with the drain and returns.[/quote]good deal. And am guessing be best to run 2 separate returns so there is no backups

[quote=“Gotasplinter, post:16, topic:8008”]

[quote=“beadlocked450r, post:15, topic:8008”]

Yes just try to give it equal length so it has even flow out both sides, you have a couple choices with the drain and returns.[/quote]good deal. And am guessing be best to run 2 separate returns so there is no backups[/quote]
I would do a primary and an emergency drain. Use the 3/4 as the primary drains and the 1" as the back up

So while filling the tank, one of the overflows has a leak in the caulking seperating the main tank and overflow. should this be cause for alarm?

I guess you mean the curved corner overflow piece. i guess that section stays full all the time anyway when operating normally with the top slots filling it to water level. so thats ok. only future problem might be if you need to replace or repair or reseal the bottom bulkhead on the overflow for a leak. then the leak will pass water through and down on the floor while its open, and could drain the whole tank. the curved section should hold water tight so work like that only needs to lower the tank water below the top overflow slots. like if the bulkhead ever leaks it could drain the tank to the bottom. but if the overflow caulking is tight, a bulkhead leak can only drain to the top slots. 5 gallons vs 180 gallons leak. can you think of anything else?

Well yes kinda, need to reseal that so that the seal doesn’t push through the whole side of the overflow