Lee & Karens 180 build

[quote=“kaptken, post:19, topic:8008”]
I guess you mean the curved corner overflow piece. i guess that section stays full all the time anyway when operating normally with the top slots filling it to water level. so thats ok. only future problem might be if you need to replace or repair or reseal the bottom bulkhead on the overflow for a leak. then the leak will pass water through and down on the floor while its open, and could drain the whole tank. the curved section should hold water tight so work like that only needs to lower the tank water below the top overflow slots. like if the bulkhead ever leaks it could drain the tank to the bottom. but if the overflow caulking is tight, a bulkhead leak can only drain to the top slots. 5 gallons vs 180 gallons leak. can you think of anything else? [/quote]point well taken Thanks Ken just drained tank

[quote=“beadlocked450r, post:20, topic:8008”]
Well yes kinda, need to reseal that so that the seal doesn’t push through the whole side of the overflow[/quote]would you all recommend resealing the whole thing or just the bottom where it is leaking

1st make sure you use the right stuff. Must be tank safe, but you might wanna try to just reseal it, if it doesn’t hold you might need to redo whole overflow

is that a factory installed overflow corner chamber we are talking about. thats what i think i see in the pic. i would first locate the leak. dry it out and slowly fill to spot the leak site. i would think just a good smear on the tank side would do it. water pressure will tend to push the cured silicone into the hole. plus adhesion. and a good smear on the inside of overflow as well. i wouldnt cut the whole thing out. just a nice flexible patch. its probably just a gap or air bubble.

Definitely want to fix the leak. If your power goes out, you’d need to be able to handle the entire tank volume in your sump.

As to the overflow design, I’m a huge fan of the Herbie. Tons of flow, completely silent, adjustable and it has an emergency backup.

[quote=“kaptken, post:23, topic:8008”]
is that a factory installed overflow corner chamber we are talking about. thats what i think i see in the pic. i would first locate the leak. dry it out and slowly fill to spot the leak site. i would think just a good smear on the tank side would do it. water pressure will tend to push the cured silicone into the hole. plus adhesion. and a good smear on the inside of overflow as well. i wouldnt cut the whole thing out. just a nice flexible patch. its probably just a gap or air bubble. [/quote]yes the factory sealed overflow one in each corner thanks for pointing me in correct direction

[quote=“beadlocked450r, post:22, topic:8008”]
1st make sure you use the right stuff. Must be tank safe, but you might wanna try to just reseal it, if it doesn’t hold you might need to redo whole overflow[/quote] yea I kno dumb question but just to make sure What’s on tank is the black silicon and what I have is this. I called marineland and they are sending us out a tube also but its 5 to 7 days out

and a smaller tube of this

As long as it says fish safe your golden

Well since Im sitting here waiting on the silicone to dry was kinda wondering what is everyones thoughts on tank spacing from the wall. We are throwing around maybe about an inch from wall. gonna use the existing overflowes as long as they don’t leak :). so hoping wont be any need for any pipes in the back of tank going down. Thoughts?

Lee, i have mine around 4-5 inches from the wall because i ran my return lines up the back of the tank and used all 4 of my holes in the overflows for drains, 2 main siphon and 2 emergency drains. oooop oooops

I’d leave some space behind the tank. At least enough to get your arm back there, just in case.

[quote=“icecool2, post:29, topic:8008”]
I’d leave some space behind the tank. At least enough to get your arm back there, just in case.[/quote]
agreed

Thanks guys for the input moved it out to 4"s and plugged the hole in the overflow so far so good no leeks. I thought this was supposed to relieve stress?

[quote=“Gotasplinter, post:31, topic:8008”]
I thought this was supposed to relieve stress?[/quote]
Whoever told you that lied lOl

Well folks Today is the big day for the swap from the 90 to the 180 by the end of the day I’m gonna need a big drink BoNg

Good luck!

Well?

[quote=“beadlocked450r, post:35, topic:8008”]
Well?[/quote]Well so far so good all critters are doing well everyone has opened up and all fish are looking good after a week in the new tank. we are getting a a diatom bloom or a brown film on everything guess that’s to be expected since we dipped everything before putting into the new tank gonna do a water change today

[quote=“beadlocked450r, post:35, topic:8008”]
Well?[/quote]Oh and something else the 180 compared to the 90 looks like a barren waste land we didn’t have any more room in the 90 for much of anything but now it looks so bare

figured I should add a link to the original thread from our 90 gallon in case some of you haven’t seen it already

http://delreefclub.org/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=28&topic=8839.0

Just a couple Pics Really not that blue in person, but looks that way with phone

Looks great guys. Time to fill it with frags and let it grow.

Looking good!