Looking for a new house in DE

We’re looking at new homes in DE. We were looking in Sussex county, but Lynn thinks it’ll be too far from her family. So, we’ve started to look around the Kent county area. I have a small boat, and would like to have access to a dock, and the bay/ocean. Any advice/comments would be welcome. Thanks.

yup, don’t move to Dover

Whats wrong with dover? I live in dover! :-)###, jim it depends what your looking for. New? Used?land? Retirement community? Traffic?shopping? There are a few spots you can launch ur boat into the delware bay. There are alot of homes for sale in my neighborhood,some are bank owned and some still have owners, nice quiet area just outside dover and right by the lake. Pm me I can get you some info

My neighbor just lost her husband and is selling her house. 19904 Real Estate & Homes for Sale - Estately

Thanks, Jason. Lynn wants new construction(at least for now), around 2,000 sq. ft. with basement(preferred), not a retirment community, not too far from shopping, with as little traffic as possible. I don’t trialer the boat, so I need someplace that I can either float it, or have it in dry stack storage. I was looking at Cedar Creek marina (Milford) and requested info from them.

Good luck with new construction, most of the builders down here are crappy, they look really nice but once the problems start get ready. Its a shame with all the money they charge. There are several new developments going up in smyrna and north dover. No place local to dock the boat except for maybe leipsic or little creek I think. Not resorts if that’s what you want.

[quote=“beadlocked450r, post:6, topic:8244”]
Good luck with new construction, most of the builders down here are crappy, they look really nice but once the problems start get ready. Its a shame with all the money they charge. There are several new developments going up in smyrna and north dover. No place local to dock the boat except for maybe leipsic or little creek I think. Not resorts if that’s what you want.[/quote]

Don’t need a resort, just a full service marina for winterizing/storing, etc., with a floating dock, and enough water at low tide that I can still get out. I found a couple around the Chesapeake/Delaware canal, but were somewhat expensive, and I’m not sure I wouldn’t have to be placed on a waiting list(requested info, but still haven’t heard back).
I was in the Smyrna/Odessa/Middletown area yesterday, and all I can say is it looks like Delaware is becoming the next Florida, I’ve never seen so many new homes/developments, both built, being built, subdivided and in the planning stages, etc. We looked at 9 different places yesterday, some were nice, some bordering on mediocre.

Just a thought- have you thought about moving the the maryland side? I live near chestertown maryland and my wife and I really like it. there are tons of water based communities along the chester and sassafras rivers, not to mention rock hall maryland.

[quote=“firecrackerbob, post:8, topic:8244”]
Just a thought- have you thought about moving the the maryland side? I live near chestertown maryland and my wife and I really like it. there are tons of water based communities along the chester and sassafras rivers, not to mention rock hall maryland. [/quote]

When we first decided to move out of NJ, we first considered the Delmarva peninsula, but then decided that DE was our best bet tax wise/economically. So, we started in the Lewes area, and have worked our way north due to proximity to NJ, travel times, etc. since Lynn has a daughter and grand daughter still living in NJ, and wants as little drive time as possible. So, right now it looks like the Smyrna/Middletown area is at the top of the list.

Taxes in MD are obnoxious. I got an instant 3.5% raise when I moved from MD to PA. You want to live on the water or a short driving distance away?

[quote=“icecool2, post:10, topic:8244”]
Taxes in MD are obnoxious. I got an instant 3.5% raise when I moved from MD to PA. You want to live on the water or a short driving distance away?[/quote]

Not on the water, I expect I’ll have to make a bit of a drive no matter where I go. How much of a raise did you get when you moved out of NJ? ::thumbsup::

yea the taxes and politics are pretty crappy… worst of all we are thinking of moving to NJ ::hitsthefan:: we will see, maybe PA if I can stand the commute into NJ…

[quote=“firecrackerbob, post:12, topic:8244”]
yea the taxes and politics are pretty crappy… worst of all we are thinking of moving to NJ ::hitsthefan:: we will see, maybe PA if I can stand the commute into NJ…[/quote]

I’d pick PA over NJ in a heartbeat. What part of NJ will you be working in?

[quote=“Downbeach, post:11, topic:8244”]
Not on the water, I expect I’ll have to make a bit of a drive no matter where I go. How much of a raise did you get when you moved out of NJ? ::thumbsup::[/quote]
A negative one! MD taxes are worse than NJ. I was paying 8.5% in MD and NJ was what, 6%? PA is 3.07% PBJ!

[quote=“firecrackerbob, post:12, topic:8244”]
yea the taxes and politics are pretty crappy… worst of all we are thinking of moving to NJ ::hitsthefan:: we will see, maybe PA if I can stand the commute into NJ…[/quote]

If you don’t like the taxes and politics where you are, you’re going to hate it in NJ, I’d pick PA over NJ in a heartbeat. What part of NJ will you be working in?

Those are all the reason I moved from nj myself! The hell with the taxes and the car ins!!! I was born and raised unfortunately in nj. I still have all the family and friends there. The drive isn’t too bad. Hr hr and a half maybe.

I might be going up to piccatinny arsenal. I know, not really enthused by NJ. we will see where the wife gets a job and we will have to decide the commutes after that… as much as I hate it though, if we are both close to piccatinny, doesnt make sense for both of us to commute from PA… we will see what happens though, the job isnt a done deal yet…

[quote=“firecrackerbob, post:17, topic:8244”]
I might be going up to piccatinny arsenal. I know, not really enthused by NJ. we will see where the wife gets a job and we will have to decide the commutes after that… as much as I hate it though, if we are both close to piccatinny, doesnt make sense for both of us to commute from PA… we will see what happens though, the job isnt a done deal yet…[/quote]

Yeah, even though its not far off I-80, that’s a pretty good hike.

So jim are you gonna set up another tank? Better make sure new house has the space for it. ::hitsthefan:: lOl

[quote=“beadlocked450r, post:19, topic:8244”]
So jim are you gonna set up another tank? Better make sure new house has the space for it. ::hitsthefan:: lOl[/quote]

Very possible, this one will have a full basement, and if I can automate it more, i.e. WC’s etc., its a very distinct possiblity.