My 180 redue

Well just about done with the new aquascape on my tank. Working on a new skimmer and looking to up-grade my lights but one project at a time. :BEER

Went from this, too much rock and alot of clutter ???

To this

To this

To this

To this (refilling back up) >LOCO<

Starting to load it back up

To this, not completly back in order yet but getting there. May want to add couple more pieces of rock.

Much better! Love the vertical rock in the middle. Nice focal point. Awesome carpet too.

Thanks Shawn

Wanted to try something different.

very nice. i always like more open space… always seems to get filled in eventually!!!

[quote=“fishguy9, post:4, topic:1927”]
very nice. i always like more open space… always seems to get filled in eventually!!![/quote]

;D I agree and already working on that !!

Nice redecorating. You must have read a book on Feng Shui!

Very nice! That looks so much better. I think keeping the back glass clean really makes the corals stand out so much more. It gives the tank more depth. I bet your fish are loving the swimming room. It will be easier to get flow to more areas in the tank also.

[quote=“kaptken, post:6, topic:1927”]
Nice redecorating. You must have read a book on Feng Shui! [/quote]

Ken I wish I could say that but more like trial and error and some help from a friend and fellow reef nut verdict_in

[quote=“Ento_Reefer, post:7, topic:1927”]
Very nice! That looks so much better. I think keeping the back glass clean really makes the corals stand out so much more. It gives the tank more depth. I bet your fish are loving the swimming room. It will be easier to get flow to more areas in the tank also.[/quote]

Thanks Ellen, they do seem to like the more swimming room. It gives my big blonde nasso some more room to grow. We’ll see how big it gets now. There wasn’t much room for much in it before and want some new stuff to show off. More clams and a show size elegance. PBJ!

new stuff to show off. More clams and a show size elegance
somehow, bill, i knew that was coming. YahoO

YahoO ;D

Looks fantastic,Bill Rob…love that green carpet.! .looks like he hung in there through the whole transformation…
what sand did you go with this time?

Thanks Ron

Used some real fine argonite sand this time and not a real lot but enough to cover the bottom.

probably be a good denitrator…there was a thread a while back on r/c that suggests a shallow bed of fine/oolitic sand denitrifies better than a dsb…
I have a shallow 1.25 inch layer of what is called bimini pink in my 30 gal clown tank…it’s mostly oolitic with some heavier stuff on top to weigh it down…nitrates remain a costant low level in this tank depite heavy feedings and no water changes…
even the clown pair I have is starting to show signs of pre spawn activity…

love the new scape!!! much more room to do n add as u please! great work

[quote=“hottuna, post:13, topic:1927”]
probably be a good denitrator…there was a thread a while back on r/c that suggests a shallow bed of fine/oolitic sand denitrifies better than a dsb…[/quote]

not to HJack… or beat this horse again… BUT
capt ken posted a few articles that did very extensive research on the differences between sand bed depths and grain size. 30 tanks set up with exact params, changing water same times/amounts/from same refill water etc etc. and came to the conclusion that there really is no signifigant difference either way u go. pretty cool article really. pretty enlightening i thought.

here is a great read on sand beds

PBJ! Looking sweet Bill

[quote=“fishguy9, post:15, topic:1927”]

probably be a good denitrator…there was a thread a while back on r/c that suggests a shallow bed of fine/oolitic sand denitrifies better than a dsb…[/quote]

capt ken posted a few articles that did very extensive research on the differences between sand bed depths and grain size. 30 tanks set up with exact params, changing water same times/amounts/from same refill water etc etc. and came to the conclusion that there really is no signifigant difference either way u go. pretty cool article really. pretty enlightening i thought.[/quote]

How long did they do this research for? A lot of people have found (doesn’t mean its the case every time or anything set in stone) that DSB over a long LONG period of time have found that they can actually be harmful to a tank down the road. I would not like to take a chance, rather just have a normal sand bed (or none at all) and be completely safe.

[quote=“michaelangelo, post:14, topic:1927”]
love the new scape!!! much more room to do n add as u please! great work[/quote]

Thanks michaelangelo

Alot of rocks came out but more room for the fish to swim, and makes the naso look smaller then he actually is. ;D

[quote=“IanH, post:17, topic:1927”]
PBJ! Looking sweet Bill[/quote]

Thanks Ian.

Jeff I did a RDSB. It's about 6 inches deep with no light near it. It's the first sump after the tank. Theres about a  a inch and a half in the tank, may add little bit more but not right now.

[quote=“DamnPepShrimp, post:18, topic:1927”]

[quote=“fishguy9, post:15, topic:1927”]

capt ken posted a few articles that did very extensive research on the differences between sand bed depths and grain size. 30 tanks set up with exact params, changing water same times/amounts/from same refill water etc etc. and came to the conclusion that there really is no signifigant difference either way u go. pretty cool article really. pretty enlightening i thought.[/quote]

How long did they do this research for? A lot of people have found (doesn’t mean its the case every time or anything set in stone) that DSB over a long LONG period of time have found that they can actually be harmful to a tank down the road. I would not like to take a chance, rather just have a normal sand bed (or none at all) and be completely safe.[/quote]

if there was anything that was “completely safe” in this hobby, we would never have anything to talk about. thats what makes it fun Saint:)