New 150 GAL tank

Well I brought my new tank home. Got it unloaded and started filling it up. I was almost done. Then I notice the the center brace is pulling apart and bowing out the front glass. Grrrrrrrr. Now I need to figure out how to fix this.

Man that sucks! sorry to hear that. How did it get broken? by accident or by it self? by it self, I mean because the glass bowed? if glass bowed you might have a problem later in the long run.

Not sure of a quick fix, but to do it right you will have to replace the frame. Scrape the silicon under the frame and take it out. Replace with a new one.

Believe me quick fix is not a way to go. That’s what happen to me with my current tank. I should have done it right the first time. Save all the headache and money.

Need help let us know.

I’m not sure how to broke. I didn’t notice it when we picked it up but honestly I didn’t look. Do they sell new frames?

My plan was to weld up a new brace to slip over the frame with more cross braces.

Did you get it from a store? If so I would take it back. Who knows it could have bowed after you filled it. I agree with A quick fix is not the way to go. This is my opinion.

No used Tank. Picked up complete set up.

I’m thinking of getting 3 pieces of stainless steel and making 3 u shaped brackets to distribute the weight

this looks like an easy fix

[quote=“ballen0351, post:7, topic:7512”]
I’m thinking of getting 3 pieces of stainless steel and making 3 u shaped brackets to distribute the weight[/quote]

It will work. I did the same thing to my old 37 gallon. Make at least 2 of them so you can remove 1 for cleaning, then replace it, remove the other for cleaning. That old tank lasted for many many years that way.

Few of the critters that came with the tank. Think I learned my lesson on buying a used tank that’s been forsale for almost a year. Not much maintenance was done. 2 of the pumps are chewed up. The UV sterilizer is broken. The fan on the light strip isn’t working. Oh well for $250. There’s about 100 pounds of live rock and a large sump and 5 fish, 2 protein skimmers and the tank that I should be able to fix tomorrow its worth it. Just needs a major cleaning and overdue maintenance few new pumps it will be good to go.

Wow that’s pretty strong glass!! Is the tank reef ready?

[quote=“beadlocked450r, post:11, topic:7512”]
Wow that’s pretty strong glass!! Is the tank reef ready?[/quote]
Yeah its reef ready. As for the glass I have a few clamps on it now plus it’s only half full so alot of the pressure is off it now I just needed to get the fish out of buckets. So I’m running 4 power heads, 2 air stones, and a HOB filter just to keep water moving. I’m picking up steel tomorrow and will weld up a new top to more after work. Then I’ll fill it up and all the way and hope I caught it in time without damage the seals.

What’s this stuff

That is a sponge. those kind usually found under the rocks and not a harmful kind.

Thank you

Steel and saltwater don’t mix! There is a reason the tank is wrapped in plastic.

You can purchase a new frame for the tank, your LFS can order one for you.

[quote=“beadlocked450r, post:17, topic:7512”]
Steel and saltwater don’t mix! There is a reason the tank is wrapped in plastic.[/quote]

Yeah I’m thinking if I plasidip it it will be ok. Or maybe aluminum when I go to the metal shop I’ll see of they have aluminum I don’t weld Aluminum so I’ll have to get a friend to do it.

Don’t waste the time with metal. Salt will eat the aluminum and will rust the steel anyway you coat it. Make your self somthing temporary and do it the right way. Buy the trim piece it will take maybe a week to get and not cause any issues in the future. Problem is the metals we use today are not just steel or aluminum. They have copper, zinc, iron, and who knows whatelse. Some of these things are bad for the tank if they somehow get into the water column. Just my :TWOCENTS