New 150 GAL tank

Makes sense. Just hate the cheap plastic tops. I with there was a better way.

Buy rimless tank.

If you want to try other options without the metals or the frame. You can try euro brace. Glass strips silicone around inside the tank. Not sure really how to do it, but I’m sure you can research it and find some how to on you tube.

check the link I posted

[quote=“Hudzon, post:24, topic:7512”]
check the link I posted[/quote]
Yeah I was looking at that I cant believe glue can hold it that well. I guess it does it scares me

Or, you could make an oak frame with threaded tie rods to hold the top planes together. Just like the tanks Nick Nolte had in his role as the Doc, in the movies, Cannery Row! He was playing a Marine biologist studying Ocupi in Monterey Bay, with home made tanks framed in oak 3 x 3’s and threaded tie rods back in the depression. before silicone. The rustic look!

Classic! Tanks and movie, Both. One of my favorite movies. got it on DVR.

[quote=“kaptken, post:26, topic:7512”]
Or, you could make an oak frame with threaded tie rods to hold the top planes together. Just like the tanks Nick Nolte had in his role as the Doc, in the movies, Cannery Row! He was playing a Marine biologist studying Ocupi in Monterey Bay, with home made tanks framed in oak 3 x 3’s and threaded tie rods back in the depression. before silicone. The rustic look!

Classic! Tanks and movie, Both. One of my favorite movies. got it on DVR.[/quote]

That would be cool. I only thought about welding up a frame because I can weld. wood working is not my strong point… I guess Ill be ordering a new top. I welded up a temp brace until I get around to fixing it

Agreed, sponge. No worries

So I’m trying to decide how to place the live rock. Should I do one big pile in the middle? Two piles one each side of the tank and the middle open? Should I move it all toward the back of the glass eaving.more room up front?

Try to stay away from piling the rock up against the back glass, it will impede flow. Other than that, it’s entirely up to you.

Agree with sneeyatch about resting them against the back glass. I like to make a horseshoe shape so lower flow corals can be sheltered in the middle and high flow on the outsides… mix in the middle.

It’s a lot whats aesthetically pleasing to you though! sometimes i like 2 islands, sometimes 1 pile, sometims 1 big pile with a smaller pile!

I kinda think I want a large sandy area in the middle for little critters to crawl around. I Made a big pile in the middle and it takes up almost all of floor space. I either need less rock or bigger tank lol.

Bigger is always better!!! ::hitsthefan::

I’d try to mimic the ocean as much as possible. Whether it gonna be a shallow lagoon, reef flat with mounds during low tide, cliff drop off or canyon with wall. I myself always like to aquascape look of a reef flat.

[quote=“reefman66, post:34, topic:7512”]
I’d try to mimic the ocean as much as possible. Whether it gonna be a shallow lagoon, reef flat with mounds during low tide, cliff drop off or canyon with wall. I myself always like to aquascape look of a reef flat.[/quote]

Thats how Ive always done my African or south american chichlid tanks I dont know why im not thinking the same way here. Thank you

Check this out:

That’s some good reading there.

[quote=“bnelson, post:36, topic:7512”]
Check this out:

http://www.reefsmagazine.com/forum/reefs-magazine/100520-aesthetics-aquascaping.html[/quote]

Thanks that was good

Made a trip to House of Tropicals today. 1st That place is EXPENSIVE but so much to look at. Picked up some snails and hermit crabs and some sand.