New Cheapo LED lights

Just replaced the DIY LED lights on my tank today with 3 LED fixtures from Aquatraders. They are full spectrum and I already like the way I can adjust the lighting color from a white to blue tint. The total for all 3 units was just $267 including free shipping.

Hey Matt, do supplement your LEDs with any VHOs?

Can I come over and see these lights in action? I love the idea of saving money on the halides. These are exactly the units I’d be buying as well.

Oh, and do we have a PAR meter?

You welcome to come over anytime, if you want to drive down to Salisbury,MD

The club has a meter, but I do not. But if you decide to come down, maybe you can borrow the PAR meter and we could test my tank

John as of right now I do not supplement with anything additional. However I have thought about adding some 420 T5s. Overall I’m pretty happy with these lights. I have mine at 20-30% whites and about 50% blues, anything more would probably be too much. I have no optics and the LEDs are still plenty powerful.

lets see some pics john

Agreed!

I will get some pics up tomorrow

Hey John, that’s a good deal on LEDs. are you keeping the VHOs on the tank too. and just replacing the old LED array? You know how partial i am to VHO Actinics. keep an eye on the coral adaption, and how well the colors and growth do for us too. good to know stuff.

Yes Ken, I will be keeping the VHOs, I like the look they give to the tank and the light spectrum from them should be helpful to the corals. Will be interesting to see how the corals react to the new lighting.

To be continued…

+2 on the pics. Also, can you tell the differences if you use the VHO or not? the colors really change?

The colors change a little, but I like the way the tank looks with just the LEDs on. Plus my VHO bulbs need to be replaced.

Can’t upload pics, photobucket is down for maintainence

Whaaaaaat? Get those up later today!

I’m interested to see how you hang them and if you plan on running an external controller.

I’m planning on running a canopy on my next tank since it’s going to be in the living room near a very reflective tv screen.

Salisbury is about 2 hours from here. It might be worth the trip but will need to coordinate with the lady since that’s going to take up a major chunk of the weekend.

Remember if you go to John’s to make sure Dr. Macs is open and stop in there while down there.

:BUMP)

WOW! the tank look so much brighter than before. What percentage are the lighting on? can’t believe how big is that orange sentosa is now, it’s huge. Looks really nice John.

Looks great john.

Thanks A and Casey

You are right A, the tank is much brighter now, no dark spots or shadows. The LEDs are set to 60%blues and 40% the other colors. I have to watch and make sure the corals respond positively to the new lights. The pics are without VHOs. And I am really liking the look.