This is the Official 2023 Zoanthid Growout Contest
It starts March 11, 2023 and a winner will be declared approximately 6 (six) months later depending on the next member meeting closest to the 6 month mark.
You should consider entering this contest if:
- Zoanthids grow fast in your tank
- You have a passion for zoanthids
- You generally like to compete regardless of you passion for zoanthids
- You know the secrets to growing zoas and want to show off
- You just want another coral colony in your tank and think this is a good way to do it
There is no right or wrong reason for entering the contest however there will be limited contestants allowed due to the limited size/availability of the mother colony.
This is the general idea:
Who can grow the biggest colony of zoas in a seven month period, starting with just two polyps?
I will supply the materials to start:
- 1.5" round ceramic tiles (marked on the bottom with a number)
- Two heads each of “Burning Plums” zoas from my collection (I just made up the name for this contest)
- Six-Seven month duration from start of contest (frags given out at the next member meeting)
- A submission/growth tracking form to compare notes and track progress, the intent is for everyone to learn how and why zoanthids grow fastest.
- Check ins by post (on this thread) with a picture and comment every two weeks to show progress and brag about how well you are doing, or to ask for guidance due to slow growth
- $10.00 entry fee (proceeds collected will be given to the winner)
- Final submission form to be brought to the meeting with specimen for evidence (you get to keep the zoas, of course) the submission form will be for educational purpose and comparison of conditions, asking about your grow out process:
- flow, high__ Moderate__ Low__
- Feeding heavy__ Moderate__ none__
- special techniques or secrets?____________
- Entry fee money
- Bragging rights!
- Title of 2023 Zoanthid King or Queen
- A trophy (maybe in the form of a mug or tumbler, maybe a plaque) to prove in years to come that you were the winner in case your friends don’t believe you
We will be limited to 20 contestants, so the first twenty people to register will be in the contest.
Only Members with up to date/paid membership are eligible. Register by replying “I AM IN” to this thread that will indicate your desire to play. I will update a reply to this with a running list of contestants.
Pictured below are the rare and highly sought after “Burning Plums” zoas that will be used for this contest.