Rosti's Coral Reef Ecosystem

[quote=“reefman66, post:319, topic:2892”]
Beauty indeed Rosti. Looks healthy and fat! love the pastel color of the fish.[/quote]
abcd, so far he’s being eating GRACILARIA SP. from refugium with others, only yellow tang does not like it. lol

[quote=“Rosti, post:320, topic:2892”]

[quote=“saltcreep, post:318, topic:2892”]
Its a beauty Rosti ::thumbsup:: and great pictures![/quote]
abcd, one of this days I will get a faster lens so I don’t have to jack up ISO to 128k.[/quote]

What lenses do you have? the pic info said it was a 135mm? is it a zoom?

[quote=“saltcreep, post:322, topic:2892”]

[quote=“Rosti, post:320, topic:2892”]

[quote=“saltcreep, post:318, topic:2892”]
Its a beauty Rosti ::thumbsup:: and great pictures![/quote]
abcd, one of this days I will get a faster lens so I don’t have to jack up ISO to 128k.[/quote]

What lenses do you have? the pic info said it was a 135mm? is it a zoom?[/quote]
18-135 mm 3.5-5.6 IS
some thing like 100 to 200 mm 2.8 should be good, but very expensive. I sold my 70-200 2.8 is 5 years ago :frowning:

Tank is looking good as usual Rosti. I was on LiveAquaria and found some of that grape kelp you like to feed your fish and I remember you were getting low on it so I figured id shoot you the link for it since they have it available finally. Its $35 for a 3-6" piece it says. I am still trying to grow mine out since it is still not enough to start feeding my fish without depleting the stock. But once it does get big enough I can bring you over some pieces when the time comes.

Are you using the two little fishes kalk reactor?

[quote=“JustSumGuy, post:324, topic:2892”]
Tank is looking good as usual Rosti. I was on LiveAquaria and found some of that grape kelp you like to feed your fish and I remember you were getting low on it so I figured id shoot you the link for it since they have it available finally. Its $35 for a 3-6" piece it says. I am still trying to grow mine out since it is still not enough to start feeding my fish without depleting the stock. But once it does get big enough I can bring you over some pieces when the time comes.

Thank Jeff for reminder and link. Here is the place I found and would like to try soon.

[quote=“andrewk529, post:325, topic:2892”]
Are you using the two little fishes kalk reactor?[/quote]
Hi Andrew, I am using Aquamedic Kalkwasser Stirrer / Reactor 1000
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/products/reactors/kalkwasser-reactor/aquamedic-kalkwasser-stirrer-reactor-1000.html

Looks like that site has pretty good prices when its in stock.

Rosti, do you have the kalk reactor on a timer so that it stirs, and then settles for an hour before dosing?

[quote=“kaptken, post:329, topic:2892”]
Rosti, do you have the kalk reactor on a timer so that it stirs, and then settles for an hour before dosing?[/quote]
No Ken, stirring is continues and very slow so it’s clear liquid on top. Timer is set to dose 3 min on/57off 24/7 on 50ml/h pump

Pretty Powder blue Rosti  ::thumbsup::

Hows it doing?

[quote=“Rosti, post:327, topic:2892”]

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/products/reactors/kalkwasser-reactor/aquamedic-kalkwasser-stirrer-reactor-1000.html[/quote]

I was hoping that you didn’t have the expensive model! hahaha. Have you herd anything negative about the TLF version? I am trying to decide which reactor to purchase.

I was wondering the same as Andrew… also Rosti, i watched the link video, but i didn’t see how its in place, and how your feeding it rodi water… any chance you could run me through your setup, video possibly? and btw what is your evaporation rates like? sorry if its already in your thread, i stopped looking after page 823… ::rofl::

[quote=“andrewk529, post:332, topic:2892”]

[quote=“Rosti, post:327, topic:2892”]

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/products/reactors/kalkwasser-reactor/aquamedic-kalkwasser-stirrer-reactor-1000.html[/quote]

I was hoping that you didn’t have the expensive model! hahaha. Have you herd anything negative about the TLF version? I am trying to decide which reactor to purchase.[/quote]

Ask John(houndsbayman) he’s using TLF kalkwasser stirrer.

[quote=“saltcreep, post:333, topic:2892”]
I was wondering the same as Andrew… also Rosti, i watched the link video, but i didn’t see how its in place, and how your feeding it rodi water… any chance you could run me through your setup, video possibly? and btw what is your evaporation rates like? sorry if its already in your thread, i stopped looking after page 823… ::rofl::[/quote]
LOL, I think video will be difficult to understand, too many hoses. Here how it goes, Ro/Di 5 gal bucket ==> 50ml/h dosing pump (controlled by timer, in my case reefkeeper) ==> Kalk. reactor ==> display tank
System uses about 1 gal a day (3 min on, 24/7)

dosing pump… like an aqualifter? and could it be controlled safely and effectively another way besides the reefkeeper?

I was reading that you do your dosing in time increments, any reason that way instead of a ph value controlled addition of kalk?

50ml/h dosing pump is much gentler, it comes on for 3 minutes without any change to ph, so evaporated water is replenished with balanced Cal/Alk solution instead of just ro water. I think by using stronger pump you may possibly see change in ph, which is ok if it’s small but the problem is if Kalk solution burns organisms. By dosing gently, Kalk solution has enough time to dilute in high water flow.

[quote=“saltcreep, post:336, topic:2892”]
dosing pump… like an aqualifter? and could it be controlled safely and effectively another way besides the reefkeeper?[/quote]

if you dont want such a large boost in PH you could mix you kalk with vingar.