Rosti's Coral Reef Ecosystem

[quote=“kaptken, post:300, topic:2892”]
Thats cool Rosti. hope it clogs up with HA. if you need some , my lower tank?fuge? in one frag system is full of mats of HA recently. I can give you some seed. Odd that it doesnt go to the other tanks in the system. the others stay clear. That plastic knitting mesh should make a good surface for it to grow on. [/quote]
Thank for the offer Ken, I am sure it will seed itself. Plastic knitting mesh is what’s recommended to use. You have to roughen it up with hole saw so that micro algae can get a hold of it. It was kinda hard to find arround, and santa monica guy sells it for $39???, any way Michael’s on 202 have it for 59 cents!!! all diffrent shapes and sizes.

Flower Pot Coral - True Red and green (Goniopora sp.

Video will be avail in two hours from youtube.

Uhhh you can buy sheets of that knitting mesh for like a dollar at fabric stores and arts and craft stores like Joane’s . Ive got some 8x11 size around here. bought them at walmart before they took out the fabric/craft section. I get my filter floss there too.

finally youtube uploaded
Flower Pot Coral - True Red and green (Goniopora sp.)

Longspine Urchin, Black (Diadema setosum), after video taping I realized that urchin was munching on SPS, LOL

Sweet pictures as always Rosti. Really like the gonis, good find. Where do you pick them up at?

[quote=“Rosti, post:304, topic:2892”]
finally youtube uploaded[/quote]

Has YouTube been brutally slow for you as well?

Have enough room for a full grown Diadema or enough to feed him?

[quote=“Gordonious, post:306, topic:2892”]
Sweet pictures as always Rosti. Really like the gonis, good find. Where do you pick them up at?

Has YouTube been brutally slow for you as well?

Have enough room for a full grown Diadema or enough to feed him? [/quote]

Tnx Jon, I got both at liveaquaria, they are ORA aquacaltured. Both are 10-11 month old. First red one was all the way on top, under MH. When I put green one next to it, on top, green one started to develop burned hole marks on it’s body/tissue, so I moved green one down on sand bed. It recovered and started to look so good that I brought red one down also, now they both look good. I seeing all different colors recently at divers den, and think will start to collect few more.

Youtube being slow lately, it took 5 tries to upload video, it keep failing upload.

As far as urchin and angels are concern, so far there seems to be a balance in the system. They help to keep coral grows in check, I like it a lot that I dont have to put my hands in tank to frag anything and it lets me enjoy the reef life. Food web part of the ecosystem is working so far and will see how things go in future. Urchin is by far the best algae eater in my system, it’s usually first one to find all the algae that I feed from refugium. I keep salinity at 1.026-7 to accommodate it.

That scrubber may need more light than it is getting from the strip light you have over the area…
Look at santa monicas website and you’ll see what I mean…

[quote=“hottuna, post:308, topic:2892”]
That scrubber may need more light than it is getting from the strip light you have over the area…
Look at santa monicas website and you’ll see what I mean…[/quote]
Thank you. Yes, I know. I just wanted to let it start cycle, and just placed 2 small strip lights temporary until I get a better light setup. One “major” change I had to do is put my refuge and scrubber lights on timer, opposite display lights. So far so good, look like diatoms growing for now.
Thanks for your good info, hottuna!

truly amazing creature

Adult Berghia Nudibranchs. I found one in refugium at night and isolated it in specimen container so I can “hand feed it” and take a video of it. Well, it did not eat on command LOL, so I put it back in. I didn’t know it can glide on the surface of the water.

nice one rosti looks great. it looks like you have aragonite on your urchin video

[quote=“dunk, post:312, topic:2892”]
nice one rosti looks great. it looks like you have aragonite on your urchin video[/quote]
Few spots on top do have coarser grains, but its only about 5%. Mostly accumulated in top layers in corners and front of glass. I am uploading really cool Berghia Nudibranchs videos, even so i didn’t get it to eat aiptasia anemone.

Berghia Nudibranchs videos are done.

In one of them aiptasia stings Berghia, may be Berghia wasn’t hungry.

Powder Blue Tang (Acanthurus leucosternon)

I took my monthly trip to TFP for some phytoplankton and came home with this beauty.

Its a beauty Rosti ::thumbsup:: and great pictures!

Beauty indeed Rosti. Looks healthy and fat! love the pastel color of the fish.

[quote=“saltcreep, post:318, topic:2892”]
Its a beauty Rosti ::thumbsup:: and great pictures![/quote]
abcd, one of this days I will get a faster lens so I don’t have to jack up ISO to 128k.