Rosti's Coral Reef Ecosystem

[quote=“kaptken, post:276, topic:2892”]
Thanks for the post Rosti. I see Ron is all high tech like me. [/quote]

Solid, old school :GEEK:

[quote=“Rosti, post:280, topic:2892”]
Most of my acros extend their polyps at night only due to available zooplankton.[/quote]

Really? I need to take a look at your videos again. Do you not have much Acropora at all? Keep any Acropora millepora? I see significant polyp extension 24-7, more so at night perhaps a bit, but always out and flowing. Perhaps it isn’t the case that the polyps are out more during the night for food, but more so in during the day due to predation. Perhaps.

Speaking of angels, Koran Angelfish (Pomacanthus semicirculatus)

Nice fish Rossti, but what’s that nice big coral in the back ground?

Koran Angelfish (Pomacanthus semicirculatus)

[quote=“kaptken, post:284, topic:2892”]
Nice fish Rossti, but what’s that nice big coral in the back ground? [/quote]
::thinking:: Some kind of Acropora Sp. from liveaquaria.com

A long time ago when I first started collecting SPS, I had a few dwarf angels in my tank and never really noticed that my acros were not having any PE during the daytime. Until I saw pics of other peoples SPS taken during the lights on period and realized that my SPS were not looking as good. After doing some research, it was apparent that the angels were the cause of no PE during the daytime. As soon as they were removed, happy SPS, and wonderful polyp extension.

Going back through recent pictures and looking at the SPS in the background they all look pretty bad to me. If I saw that kind of polyp extension in my aquarium I would be terrified something was horribly screwed up.

If you have had growth on all of your SPS and haven’t lost anything then regardless of the polyp extension they are likely healthy enough to survive. Most of our animals thrown into a glass box, with other animals they would never encounter or be in a confined space with, won’t be perfectly healthy. I suppose it is up to each aquarist to decide how well their animals are going to do.

“Delaware Scrubber” Version

Well, after doing some research and realizing incredible power of the hair algae scrubber, I had to incorporate it into my system. Design considerations were: don’t use additional pumps, no room or money santa monica version, use same sump. ::thinking::
It hit me PBJ! Incorporate it into return!

3 hours and $9.55 later here it is, huge bonus is I can’t hear water splashing anymore, awesome.
Too tired now to work on light, will do it this week end.

Sump/refugium version 4 (i think)

Everything looks nice Rosti!! How is the scrubber doing and how long has it been running?

[quote=“billrob71, post:296, topic:2892”]
Everything looks nice Rosti!! How is the scrubber doing and how long has it been running?[/quote]
Thank Bill, 2 hours, not much scrubbing going on yet, LOL
It takes few weeks to kick in, i will post progress. Looking to bring phosphates lower.

Rosti, I don’t understand why you need an algae scrubber? Your tank is beautiful already from the look of the picture anyway, I haven’t seen it in person. You have a nice refugium growing like crazy. Is it not doing what is suppose to? are you getting HA in your DT?

[quote=“reefman66, post:298, topic:2892”]
Rosti, I don’t understand why you need an algae scrubber? Your tank is beautiful already from the look of the picture anyway, I haven’t seen it in person. You have a nice refugium growing like crazy. Is it not doing what is suppose to? are you getting HA in your DT?[/quote]

I thought if I can incorporate it into design and benefit from extra filtration power, then why not. I don’t have any hair algae anywhere in display, phosphates stay at 0.03ppm with 50ml Phyto and 6 frozen cubes daily. I would like to bring it down lower, so scrubber should help + it’s so QUIET now, nice. Fuge is doing it’s job, my feeling is it’s much more a refugium than a filter. I am sure there is some filtration capacity there, but I can’t really pin point relationship of algae growth when I feed extra. Like Ron said, refugiums have very little filtering capacity. I do harvest huge chunks if algae weekly, lot of it goes back to feed tangs.

Thats cool Rosti. hope it clogs up with HA. if you need some , my lower tank?fuge? in one frag system is full of mats of HA recently. I can give you some seed. Odd that it doesnt go to the other tanks in the system. the others stay clear. That plastic knitting mesh should make a good surface for it to grow on.