Small rectangle brown spots

I have these small rectangle brown spots on some rocks and some parts of my substraight. They blow off the rocks easy and up into the water column. Mix up the substraight and they disappear. They come back the next day. They don’t appear to be alive or moving. There is no slime like brown alge or diatoms. Picture attached. They are not on any corals. Can anyone educate me on this problem and some sulltions.

Why are my pictures upside down

they look like flatworms

I just stured up the substraight and siphoned some water out. Put them in a white bowl. They are moving around. FLATWORM. Now we’re do I go from here.

I’ve heard mixed reports on using flatworm exit. Also read that mandarins and coris wrasses will eat them.

Don’t use flatworm exit! Get a wrasse. I’ve seen tanks nuked by FWE.

I agree they are flatworms! Get a wrasse, you can try either a:

Six line
Yellow corris
Melaneraus (not sure on the spelling)

It’s not the end of the world, keep us posted!

Thanks guys. Im going to start and sophon out as many as I can over the next week and pick up a sixline wrasse. Read a lot about exit but I’m not thrilled about all the negatives I’ve read. Keep you updated

Good luck!

I’d be careful with a six line. They can be real a-holes. Maybe consider one of the others mentioned. I have a yellow (white belly) wrasse and he is extremely peaceful.

Good luck Mike, I had them once in my 180 and it wasn’t easy. The wrasse will help, I’ve had a six line in my tank for many years now, they do a good job.

They can get aggressive when adding a fish that has the same coloring.

Got a 6line and a yellow coris wrasse at Armco today. With physical siphoning out the flat worms and the wrasses I gonna try to make this happen.

Also looking for some Blue Velvet nudibranch. Most places are on back order. Anyone know of anyplace?

Good luck! I hope you QT those fish first :slight_smile:

All of Armco fish are quarantined before they are sold.

Remember what I said during my presentation… the only QT you should trust is your own :slight_smile:

I have used flatworm exit several times with no ill effects and good results. Might require more then 1 dose

Do you have an aptaisia zapper?

It takes 2 people and a couple of days to complete, but reef safe, non-chemical, and inexpensive (if you already have a zapper).

Using a small diameter hose, start a siphon - you can either siphon in to a bucket and do a water change while you’re at it, or run the siphon through a filter sock (or the wife’s pantyhose) back in to the sump.

Place the zapper NEAR (not ON any coral) the flatworm populations and give the on button a press for a few seconds. Flatworms will immediately jump off of every coral, rock, or other surface they’re on and in to the water column.

Siphon them out of the tank.

Repeat around the tank over several days to ensure you’ve eradicated them.

Eazy-Peazy and free.

If only someone was at a meeting recently where such zappers were made… oh wait, you were! PBJ!

I like, will give this a try. Doing a water change ''tis weekend. Perfect timing