Sumpless 55

[quote=“fishguy9, post:18, topic:1193”]
no one claimed they WOULDNT be happy, for awhile at least. >LOCO<[/quote]

got 20$ says they will be alive in a month ;D

There’s nothing wrong with being excited. But you have to understand that some of your actions are going to be detrimental to the animals you’re trying to keep. Several of us tried to steer you in the “more acceptable” direction -you chose to ignore the general consensus and do it your way. No one wants to give you a science lesson but if you’re going to keep an animal you should be interested in knowing as much about it and how to care for it properly. These fish have not adapted a means to tolerate higher levels of NH3 - they are just cheap fish - which unfortunately 20 years ago someone equated with “disposable” - and here we are 20 years later still debating the issue.

There’s probably 100 different ways to do just about everything in this hobby - some are better then others - some are considered by the experts as ideal -and some are considered by the scientists, the experts, and the general populous as just wrong and out-dated.

I sincerely wish you the best of luck.

[quote=“andrewk529, post:21, topic:1193”]
got 20$ says they will be alive in a month ;D[/quote]

No one said they wouldn’t be - a prisoner in a POW camp is alive – happy is a completely different discussion.

“got 20$ says they will be alive in a month”
however, you want a basically fish only tank. they are quite territorial and may very well prevent you from keeping some of the fish you’d eventually want to keep. i have $.02 that says within a few months you will want to get rid of them [accepting the [il]logic that they’re alive b/c they have evolved protection against toxicity] and you will be unable to catch them.

[quote=“Cdangel0, post:22, topic:1193”]
These fish have not adapted a means to tolerate higher levels of NH3 - they are just cheap fish - which unfortunately 20 years ago someone equated with “disposable” - and here we are 20 years later still debating the issue.[/quote]

i tend to dissagree i think theres a reason 20 years ago people used these species to cycle tanks it goes to their ability to acclimate… i assure you i intend no mal treatment to these fish and they will be fine if we really want to get into a philosophical debate about fish so be it but i’ll do some research to back up my opinion of their physiology as i need no science lessons considering i’ll be graduating this fall with a BS in biology

[quote=“moliken, post:23, topic:1193”]
“got 20$ says they will be alive in a month”
however, you want a basically fish only tank. they are quite territorial and may very well prevent you from keeping some of the fish you’d eventually want to keep. i have $.02 that says within a few months you will want to get rid of them [accepting the [il]logic that they’re alive b/c they have evolved protection against toxicity] and you will be unable to catch them.[/quote]

i don’t plan on putting any other fish in the tank except damsels they will be in the tank the entire year its set up and it won’t be completely FO i’ll have a few species of coral eventually :SURRENDER

I’ve cycled more than a few tanks with damsels. I think it’s ridiculous to take a hard line stance on ethics when we “weed” out the life forms that are not to our liking through kalk/vinegar/boiling water injections. I agree with andrew that there is little evidence that a fish actually feels pain. It is, as someone mentioned, a pain to get the damsels out once established. I will say that I disagree with some points and agree with others, but the bottom line is…

Andrew, there are better ways. Maybe consider the alternative next time.

well, the whole point is to build a strong bio filter, one step at a time. cycle, add a fish load, , cycle, add another small load and repeat. It takes time, but its the bacteria that set the pace. however fast they can multiply and to handle the increased load. Eventually as you add more rock and organic load, th bio filter will gorw to handle it, and later when it is bi and strong, the addition of a fish wont make much difference to it. it will be strong enough to handle the load.

You dont get six pack abs in one workout. it takes time and repetition. one increment at a time.

Uhh, do you have six pack abs?? yet?

I’ll take that $20 bet, I’ll use that $20 I win to buy jumbo shrimp to start my next tank… LOL j/k

[quote=“kaptken, post:27, topic:1193”]
You dont get six pack abs in one workout. it takes time and repetition. one increment at a time.[/quote]

Wait… so I bought that “Abs In One Workout” by Billy Brawn on late night TV for nothing?? Dang infomercials get my every time!

[quote=“ihuntinde, post:28, topic:1193”]

I’ll take that $20 bet, I’ll use that $20 I win to buy jumbo shrimp to start my next tank… LOL j/k

[quote=“kaptken, post:27, topic:1193”]
You dont get six pack abs in one workout. it takes time and repetition. one increment at a time.[/quote]

Wait… so I bought that “Abs In One Workout” by Billy Brawn on late night TV for nothing?? Dang infomercials get my every time![/quote]

haha damn speaking of which im off to the gym to work on my abs >LOL<

[quote=“andrewk529, post:29, topic:1193”]
haha damn speaking of which im off to the gym to work on my abs >LOL<[/quote]

You are obviously not a true aquarist if you can afford a saltwater tank and a gym membership… lOl

[quote=“ihuntinde, post:30, topic:1193”]

[quote=“andrewk529, post:29, topic:1193”]
haha damn speaking of which im off to the gym to work on my abs >LOL<[/quote]

You are obviously not a true aquarist if you can afford a saltwater tank and a gym membership… lOl[/quote]

my membership to the hac in hockessin does kill my wallet! and the money im investing in my set up is gonna be over 1k after my lights and i still plan on adding more equipment in the future verdict_in

I think you are doing very good if you stay under $1k when you are all said and done… I know I did not with the 55 I am running right now, and I built my own acrylic sump…

[quote=“ihuntinde, post:32, topic:1193”]
I think you are doing very good if you stay under $1k when you are all said and done… I know I did not with the 55 I am running right now, and I built my own acrylic sump…[/quote]

abcd well i saved a lot purchasing base rock and seeding it with some LR that and this will be a sumpless setup …the grand total will be under 1100 depending on if i buy a HOB refug or construct one

I think you guys are idiots! You actually add up how much $$$ you spent on your tanks! I’d never do such a thing! There are somethings best left unknown…

So did the cloudiness clear up yet?

[quote=“IanH, post:34, topic:1193”]
I think you guys are idiots! You actually add up how much $$$ you spent on your tanks! I’d never do such a thing! There are somethings best left unknown…

So did the cloudiness clear up yet?[/quote]

haha i def could have taken a nice vactation to mexico like you with the money i’ve spent on this tank! the water has cleared up substantially heres some pics from 5 min ago

[/quote]

You are obviously not a true aquarist if you can afford a saltwater tank and a gym membership… lOl
[/quote]

true that. you know you are supporting a reef when your fish eat better than you do.

Looking good, what kind of sand are you using? Looks nice, my sand is turning green from coraline.

So no other filtration in this tank besides the hang on I see and the live rock? How about some macro algae in the sand?

RE : cycling with damsels… I just cycled a tank with a flame angel and purple tang…but before you get excited = I used a product called aqua gold 48 hours prior as per instructions…no ammonia or nitrite problems…fish just sailed through the cycle…
product is by nat’l fish parm…enzymes + bacteria…it really seems to work well…
saves fish lives , too

ouch… u opened the door. hope u brought a helmet slap-stick

Just waiting for someone to say they used a ‘Magic Potion #12’ to fix whatever ailed their saltwater tank… PBJ!