Possible things to Controll (Electronically)

How close do you plan on having the computer or are you going to run a line to another desktop?

I need to get an RTC (real time clock) module and it will/can run w/o the computer, but you need the computer to get real time updates/sms messages. Unless I spring for a wireless or ethernet adapter it will only connect to the PC via USB.

I thought you got rid of the ghetto-riffic hood.

Looks like it’s working thus far - just out of curiosity - how much do you think you have invested in it at this point?

Nope still got the ghetto riffic hood on the 55, the nice one is one the 75. That’s about $55 or so in parts not including some of the random wires and tools I grabbed. I could have done it a bit cheaper but eh. It should be under $100 all said and done able to run w/o the computer w/ an LCD display. PS radio shack sucks anymore.

[quote PS radio shack sucks anymore.
[/quote]

YES THEY DO!!!

Like to see how you did this set up.

I’ll try to document it a bit and share.

Hey Ian, while you’re playing with your soldering iron and rubber bands, how about creating a GFCI that automatically attempts to restart itself following a fault, and shutting down only the outlet causing the fault and not the whole power strip? :think)

I suppose you could put current sensors on each of the outlets and if it is too high kill it, then try to restart X seconds later. You wanna come over and test it? ;D

I think I might put a breathalyser on this thing…then you can see how drunk you are while feeding the fish :wink:

Can anyone imagine a need for an RH sensor on the unit, which will be located near the aquarium?

[quote=“IanH, post:50, topic:1136”]
Can anyone imagine a need for an RH sensor on the unit, which will be located near the aquarium?[/quote]

OK - I’ll bite – what’s an RH sensor?

Oh lol sorry, I work in a lab. RH or Relative Humidity sensor. Might be nice to know how much higher the relative humidity is by your tank than elsewhere in your house. If you wanted to get real fancy you could probably use that data to gestimicalculate water lost from the tank.

A little playing around with MJs and props and a little playing with the controller. Off the computer and running 30s ON 15s OFF. I tried to trace the cord so you could see it is in the controller box and show the power for the controller. Also you should notice no more clicking from the MJs!

http://s675.photobucket.com/albums/vv115/IanNEden/?action=view&current=MOV02508.flv

I like the hi tech RUBBER BAND fasteners on the power strips. and the controller mobile cabinet(swivel bar stool with arm rests ) is really cool!

[quote=“kaptken, post:54, topic:1136”]
I like the hi tech RUBBER BAND fasteners on the power strips. and the controller mobile cabinet(swivel bar stool with arm rests ) is really cool![/quote]

Hehe thats Hi-Tech and Custom :wink: Gotta pay extra for the rubber bands.

Watch the bands under/near your lights. Heat and uv will deteriorate rubber. Don’t want you to get electrocuted :stuck_out_tongue:

PS the controller is actually what is rubber banded and is running independent of the computer, which doesn’t matter if the rubber bands come off thats the only thing they are holding on, the 120 stuff is held together with screws.

Started working on the software side for when the controller is plugged into the computer and takes it commands from that. Here are some ugly pics of it! Certainly nothing special yet and most of the commands do nothing. Only controls/monitors outlets currently.

Main screen

Main menu

Controller menu w/ sub menu for COM ports

Logging menu

Right click on an outlet menu w/ control options sub menu

“Dashboard” interface.

[quote=“IanH, post:52, topic:1136”]
Oh lol sorry, I work in a lab. RH or Relative Humidity sensor. Might be nice to know how much higher the relative humidity is by your tank than elsewhere in your house. If you wanted to get real fancy you could probably use that data to gestimicalculate water lost from the tank.[/quote]

Any thoughts on a humidity sensor?

Love the dashboard view. Much cooler to look at then my little blue backlit RK2 screen.

I don’t think you’d need a RH sensor, but may want to put something like a wet floor or skimmer full alarm on it.