Possible things to Controll (Electronically)

Plan on building a little wet switch, but the ATO will be integrated into the controller and will only be allowed to run for a set period of time. I also plan on tracking/trending how many times the ATO gets hit and if it is above/below a 3 sigma limit I’ll set off an alarm (SMS, stop ATO, ect.)

Just a little update, got one of the float switches friday and got the ATO working tonight! :smiley:

ATO is pretty neat I use air pressure via an air pump to push the water into the tank. It runs for 3 seconds then stops and checks the float switch again and will run for another 3 seconds if necessary.

Had to actually write some code tonight. I added interrupts so I can call various functions to run at second X. i.e. at second 1000 float switch is low, so I turn on the ATO and set an interrupt at second 1003 to turn it off. I’m sure all that means nothing to anyone unless their a geek, but, basically I have second by second control of the outlets.

Controller can run independent of the computer or with it, currently hooked up to the PC for debugging.

Up to about $60 in parts + an air pump and milk jug, functioning as an ATO and wavemaker.

:BEER

Ian
I came across this link on RC and figured you could steel an idea or 2 from it

Any updates on the controller?

Hey Al, thanks for the links. Also I had been going to this site (if anyone else wants to try and build one) for awhile, but have since gotten side tracked. Few people there working on basically the same project. http://reefprojects.com/

Honestly I’ve been slacking I spent about an hour on it this month just writing some of the code for the controller > PC interface, and that is about all I’ve done with it since back in April. I really need to push the new code out to it because I figured out what my little bug was that would show up once every couple of weeks, I was overloading my array variable and causing a little funkiness, although it usually only overwrote my “Last time the ATO ran was: X” variable. (OK, end Geek talk now right?) But its been working fine for a good month now and I haven’t messed with it lol. Hopefully you’ve just inspired me to jump back on it!

I just ran across this Reef Keeper Lite module. is this good enough for most tanks?
http://www.hellolights.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1810&HS=1

I got no Idea, since I still subscribe to the bucket brigade.

Depends on what you wanna do.

Looks like you could put some powerheads, and lights on timers with that and turn on a fan if the temp gets too high.

[quote=“kaptken, post:66, topic:1136”]
I just ran across this Reef Keeper Lite module. is this good enough for most tanks?[/quote]

Digital Aquatics came out with the RKL (Reef Keeper Lite) to compete with the Aqua Controller Jr. they touted it was the first time you could buy a RK for under $150. The nice part about the RKL is that it is cheaper to get in to and can be expanded as your experience, needs, bank accounts grow.

Now that DA has discontinued the RK2 you really only have the RKL (though there are 3 models to choose from) and the RKE (Elite) to pick from. I did the math when the RKL came out and if you added on all available modules you would end up spending a little more then you would for the Elite and would still not be able to control as many things.

Personally I am still waiting for the IAN3K to come down in price a little bit and develop some improved packaging. I just have never liked the “Rubber band around the power strip” look.

[quote=“kaptken, post:66, topic:1136”]
I just ran across this Reef Keeper Lite module. is this good enough for most tanks?
http://www.hellolights.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1810&HS=1

I got no Idea, since I still subscribe to the bucket brigade.[/quote]

I have a RKL and it works fine for me. I just set it up this weekend and it is working like a champ. I would recommend it definitely.

[quote=“Cdangel0, post:68, topic:1136”]
Personally I am still waiting for the IAN3K to come down in price a little bit and develop some improved packaging. I just have never liked the “Rubber band around the power strip” look.[/quote]

Hey hey, that’s a ‘custom’ look!

dude very impressive. id like to see a software feature, thats the kind of stuff id be into, i mean underwater cameras, live temp readings i mean WOW. that would be awesome. a little extreme but way awesome.

Thank you my ninja turtle friend. What would you want to see on the software side?

[quote=“IanH, post:72, topic:1136”]
Thank you my ninja turtle friend. What would you want to see on the software side?[/quote]

hmm, awesome question…

First I would have to say the most inportant part is a clean interface. So with that ut of the way, id want to see a live feed directly from my tank showing such things as temp,nitrite,nitrate,alk,calc,PH, etc… Graphs that show swings during the day/night of the ups and downs of the readings. A red alert that say something is off it shows several types of solutions, to the user. such as ( a ex) nitrate build up SOL A: Immediate 10% WC. somehting alonh them lines. A controller obviously , that makes waves, feeder, lights, temp, etc… If you could mod somthing where a live ip cam could go in the water, or even just looking at your tank that your interface could monitor.

Second id have a log, where you input corals, fish etc… and it can calculate the waste your producing, and tell you how your bioload is, over/under… Maybe spacing isues along with corals/fish that dont get along…

also maybe a coral / fish catalog that when your on a whim about buying something inout it into your interface and it tells you yes or no… lol is that good ? I could keep going…

lol you can keep going if you want.

Some of things you mentioned aren’t in the scope of this project or will be possibly added on towards the end as ‘bonus’.

Nitrate, nitrite real time sensors don’t really exist. I am planning on throwing an ip camera on the cam so I can check it remotely as well as the params via the software, but I don’t think I’ll be integrating the camera into the software.

My plan is to log everything monitored by the controller, provide alarms and statistical data. Some alarms will be based on the statistical data, i.e. something out of 3x standard deviation is something that is out of the ordinary, alarm/report it/act on it. I would like the controller to do everything it can to correct the situation w/o the input of the user, unless necessary of course.

Feel free to express your ideas, as I know what I would want, but that might not apply to others.

sounds pretty good. When you get a good beta together id be very interested to see how it came together. I wish them sensors existed cause that would be awesome!!!

Hows about a RK controlled electronic Doggie collar or cattle prod to prompt the reefer to do a simple water change now and then, on schedule?

That might help?

If not, It would still be fun to watch!

Ok Ken, but will you test it out for me?

Oh No! Not for me. I’m strictly on manual over ride. Probably because Me and electronics don’t often mesh well. But it looks like you got a good handle on it. So do carry on!

[quote=“IanH, post:77, topic:1136”]
Ok Ken, but will you test it out for me?[/quote]

think u could program it to have my wife perform weekly water changes?? or maybe just to feed the 2 or 3x a day?? or remove dead anemones?? i would ABSOLUTELY test it for ya!! :think)

[quote=“fishguy9, post:79, topic:1136”]

[quote=“IanH, post:77, topic:1136”]
Ok Ken, but will you test it out for me?[/quote]

think u could program it to have my wife perform weekly water changes?? or maybe just to feed the 2 or 3x a day?? or remove dead anemones?? i would ABSOLUTELY test it for ya!! :think)[/quote]

Sure, but you put the collar on your wife, not me!