Rosti's Coral Reef Ecosystem

[quote=“Gordonious, post:195, topic:2892”]
WOAH, isolate, identify, and then decide if it gets flushed or back into the tank. Most animals like this can survive in a dixi cup of water for a long time. Honestly that doesn’t look good to me Rosti and I’ve seen a lot of different animals. It remotely looks like a parasitic isopod, most I’ve come into contact with are round and more flat. It is not a mysid shrimp and don’t really think it is a shrimp at all.

Took a look at the last video you posted, much better image it does now look more like a shrimp. Could perhaps be a shore shrimp or what many my call grass shrimp or glass shrimp. Purchase anything recently?

Often a good idea to catch it until you get a good ID, which isn’t always easy to do. Probably best to take pics and video as you did then isolate and identify. Good luck with the ID. [/quote]

here is what I am geting from friends at marinedepot.com forums at 11:57pm >LOCO<

"More cool camera-work from Rosti! Industrious little critter, that. Your tank sure seems “healthy.”
While we wait for Ron to return (he’s giving a talk in Texas), I’m gonna take a stab and guess that might be an Anthurid isopod (see links in the first half of this post: http://forum.marinedepot.com/FindPost114875.aspx ).

Now, even tho we can practically count segments & appendages, etc., from your fine vids, I’ll admit I’m mostly going by general shape and gestalt, here. There are scads of isopods (and other pods!) I’ve never “met.” Perhaps the pictures at the Chuck Raab link (the first one in the link above) will be of more help, and do note that Chuck links to many handy articles, esp. Ron’s.

–Diane"

If a second person is leaning towards isopod I would get that sucker into a glass gar out of the aquarium. There are peaceful isopods that eat copepods and nothing larger, but this doesn’t look like any of those I have ever seen. Could describe the peaceful ones I’ve seen, but this one isn’t like them.

If you can still see it I would recommend starting a siphon with a tube large enough to remove the rocks that are near it and just suck that second of rock out. Have several buckets handy as once you start siphoning he may go running and you can’t siphon too much at a time as your sump is on the ground.
I wouldn’t recommend tearing apart your whole healthy fuge over this guy, especially with out a positive ID, but if it is easy to catch I would do so.

[quote=“Gordonious, post:202, topic:2892”]
If a second person is leaning towards isopod I would get that sucker into a glass gar out of the aquarium. There are peaceful isopods that eat copepods and nothing larger, but this doesn’t look like any of those I have ever seen. Could describe the peaceful ones I’ve seen, but this one isn’t like them.

If you can still see it I would recommend starting a siphon with a tube large enough to remove the rocks that are near it and just suck that second of rock out. Have several buckets handy as once you start siphoning he may go running and you can’t siphon too much at a time as your sump is on the ground.
I wouldn’t recommend tearing apart your whole healthy fuge over this guy, especially with out a positive ID, but if it is easy to catch I would do so. [/quote]

Video is from display tank, i am still NOT worried. I haven’t touched sand bed since set up, and not planing doing it. Thank you for your concern, I just happen to video tape it. I can’t even find that spot now, no idea were it is. You have lots of knowledge and cause for concern, thank you Jon. Will see what Ron says, I will try to find it tomorrow.

Ok Rosti, keep us up to date. Interesting to see animals like this. At least I’ve always found little critters like that to be cool and fascinating.

I’ve offered in the past several times to give a 10 minute lecture on “pods” and other critters. It was deemed boring or unimportant. Knowing what is a normal helpful pod and what could crawl inside of your favorite animal and suck the life out of it(or for that mater latch onto your hand and you wake up in bed in the middle of the night to find something trying to dig into your skin…) is important enough for me to know and QT.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-02/rs/index.php

This is what I got so far. Good nite Jon :BEER

Night Rosti, time to start working on my tanks.

[quote=“Rosti, post:189, topic:2892”]
I posted this clips on Ron Shimeks forum hoping for ID

Here is Ron’s response

Hi Rosti, This views are just not quite enough... I think, but I am not certain that the critter is a tanaid. Although Diane's guess of an anthurid is a good one, anthurids are relatively uncommon in reef tanks, wherease tanaids are relatively more common. The antennae on the animal in the images are larger and more "tanaidish" and the beating appendages under the abdomen (hind part of the animal) are occupy most of the abdominal length, whereas in a isopod, they are confined to the most posterior region of the body. That having been said, without a specimen in hand... I can't be sure.

The linked article discusses the animals in some detail and since I wrote it, I have had aquarists send me several more species for identification. If you could send a couple to me, I would much appreaciate it, as every new one I see gets added to “the list” of marine inverts in tanks.

Below is a diagram from the linked article showing the major structures of sexually mature animals. Note from the article - there are no sexually immature males…

Diagram Of A Generalized Tanaid

Cheers, Ron

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-02/rs/index.php

Dragonface Pipefish (Corythoichthys sp.)
Video links,

please note, picture represents true color, but videos came out too blue. ::thinking:: I am working on it

Looks like the blenny thinks the pip fish is invading his territory. You only put one of the pip fish in the DT?

[quote=“reefman66, post:209, topic:2892”]
Looks like the blenny thinks the pip fish is invading his territory. You only put one of the pip fish in the DT?[/quote]
There are two in DT, here is quick video of both. Hopefully will bred some day.

Scientific name – Ophiarachna incrassata

Common name – Green Star of Death, Green Brittle Starfish

Size – 18 - 24in

Fully grown, it is being a model citizen in this tank. MVI 0112 - YouTube

he is a beauty rosti

Updated tank video, 12+ minutes long, so try not to fall a sleep. ::rofl::

Focus is on Yellow Tang, Yellow Tang Movie - YouTube (audio should be avail shortly)

Very nice video Rosti. Got to watch it in HD, especially the first one. How long have you had that acro colony on the mid bottom left. That is quite large!! same goes for the pink bird nest on the top right.

Thin Branch Birds Nest - Aquacultured (Seriatopora hystrix) from Liveaquaria is 8 - 9 month old, it is over 10 in in diameter now. Nice grows for under-lit reef tank by some reef forum standards out there. FEED your reef tank and not zooxanthellae. lol
here is a link to earlier thread and pics. http://delreefclub.org/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=28&topic=3475.15

one on lower left is moved from the back to the front 2-3 month ago, it’s maybe 6-8 month old, I did buy it as 3 in colony. Now it’s over 10 in. I couldn’t wait any longer for it to start showing growth from back, so i moved it to front.

IMG_0915.JPG

Lost and Found

About 6 month ago I added Clown Goby, Green (Gobiodon atrangulatus) only to see it disappear within days. Well, few weeks ago I discovered it happy and healthy in refugium. Some how it made it through overflow and down into refugium. I can’t believe the colors on this little guy.

HD and music will be avail shortly.

He’s been feasting on all your good bugs. mine used to go over the falls pretty often. i’d find them in the floss basket. and drop them back in the tank.

Seems to be very happy and healthy green clown goby. All the bugs he can eat all by him self. Are you gonna put him back in the DT?

[quote=“reefman66, post:218, topic:2892”]
Seems to be very happy and healthy green clown goby. All the bugs he can eat all by him self. Are you gonna put him back in the DT?[/quote]
I was thinking to catch him but don’t think it’s possible in that jungle down there. Let him have a nice life and all you can eat. :GOLD)

[quote=“kaptken, post:217, topic:2892”]
He’s been feasting on all your good bugs. mine used to go over the falls pretty often. i’d find them in the floss basket. and drop them back in the tank. [/quote]

Hi Ken, that is one good way of doing it or have some-kind of screen in order to prevent fish from escaping. In my case I have a very specific function that requires no mechanical filtration of any kind be present in tank (filter floss, micron socks, ect.). Without going too much into theoretical discussion of DSB, detritus must remain in the system and not be removed in order to complete food web of mini ecosystem. I cut large opening in overflow to allow larger pieces of food to make it down into refugium when I feed tank, because creatures in the mud need food to “keep it going” sort off speaking. This is the difference between “Miracle mud” theory were you have to replace it so often OR natural aquarium ecosystem were you replenish worms/critters and feed them for ecosystem to work. Off course draw back is that you will have small fish making down into refugium and you need a very slow return pump for margin of safety incase someone gets stuck. I guess you can add this to the list of draw backs of DSB but I wouldn’t do it any other way ;D